Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Coquine Restaurant - 2075 Yonge St, Toronto

Last Spring, I moved from the downtown core of Toronto to Midtown Toronto. Also known as Yonge and Eglinton.
Now, I have always been a "downtown girl" who enjoys all the super chic restaurants and lounges that King St W/E and Queen St W have to offer. However, I lived in a brand new condo on the water front. A developing neighbourhood with pretty much no character at all. Well not yet. I will say that I did have a favourite coffee spot right across the street. But, that is a whole other post.
Back to my dilemma: I was about a $5 cab ride away from all of my favourite eating venues. Further more, these restos are downtown. Need I say more. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday equals loads of people and tourists.
Where I lived, I needed a place that was a few doors down where I could call my food sanctuary. My place. My spot. My restaurant...a place where everybody knows my name. Okay, maybe I'm pushing it a bit there. You know what I mean.

Fortunately, I discovered a new neck of woods known as Yonge and Eg. Fantastic! Downtown without the "downtown". A mini concrete jungle if you please. In this neighbourhood I have a large commercial grocer and lots of tiny little fruit/veg stores, bakeries, delicatessens and restaurants. The same people go to the same little shops thereby supporting the neighbourhood in whole. The best part is, everyone really does know your name!

One of our favourite restaurant finds is a place called Coquine. As their website sates, Coquine is "a modern European Bistro". The physical establishment is a gem in itself. Half of the restaurant is a typical dinning area, while the other half is a bar room. For those of you who love to sit at the bar and socialize, this place is for you. There is always room at the bar as it extends row upon row. Also, I don't want to leave out the patio. When the weather is nice, you can sit on a two sided patio. One side is directly on Yonge Street and the other quieter side is on Manor Road. It really is a great spot.

Now on to the food...
I always seem to order the same thing: the Caprese Salad. Tried, tested and true. Delicious! While my boyfriend on the other hand has had the pleasure of sampling more of the menu than I. One particular dish remains a unanimous must have: the Wild Mushroom-Filled Ravioli with Sauteed mushrooms and cherry tomatoes in a creamy goodness sauce. It is incredible! We always order it as our appetizer. You can see why a simple Caprese Salad is sufficient for my main. Here is something that we learned about this pasta dish: there are two variations. The winter version which is a lovely creamy truffle sauce and the summer version which is a lighter clear buttery truffle sauce. We LOVE the winter version best and we are always sure to specify this request when ordering. Just in case:) Try it with the Hillbrand Guwerztraminer (I can never pronounce this) and splurge for the bottle. Very nice if you like sweeter white wines such as Rieslings.
I must also mention the staff. We always sit at the bar and I must say that the bartenders are always super friendly and eager to get to know you and make your experience a welcome one. Lest we forget the complimentary after dinner shots that they present to you and your neighbours just for coming out.
Check out their website for more info.
http://www.coquinerestaurant.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment